Self-guided Field Trips
Self-guided tours are led by the teacher and chaperones, and can include exploration of both Matthaei’s trails and conservatory. Topics that can be investigated at Matthaei include native Michigan plant and animal species, plant parts and functions, adaptations, pollination, and ecosystems.
Monday-Friday, reservation required (contact Liz Glynn at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Due to other programming, indoor back-up space may not be available in inclement weather.
Field trips are led by teachers and chaperones. We require a ratio of 1 adult for every 8 students for self guided field trips. For safety, all participants must wear closed toe shoes. No open sandals on the trails please.
There is no per-student fee for self-guided tours. There is a $15 parking fee (per bus).
Individual drivers must pay for parking ($1.90/hour). Free will donations are welcome and help support guided and self guided field trips, and may be given at the front desk or donation box.
Self-guided/when you arrive:
- Bus drivers and parents drop students off at the main entrance.
- Teachers purchase a $15 per bus, per day parking tag from the front desk. Bus parks in designated area.
- Individual drivers park in west lot and pay at kiosks ($1.90/hour).
- Teachers are responsible for dividing students into groups and leading activities.
- Special permission required for collecting materials of any kind.
Resources are available for self-guided tours, and include activities for both the classroom and the field trip. Topics covered are plant parts and functions, pollination, adaptations, and ecosystems.
Looking for a Guided Field Trip?
Join our Mailing List
Sign up to receive updates on news and events.