- Where is Matthaei Botanical Gardens & Nichols Arboretum located?
We are two properties: Matthaei Botanical Gardens is located on the east side of Ann Arbor at 1800 N. Dixboro Rd, 48105. Click here for map Nichols Arboretum is located on central campus near the U-M Hospital at 1610 Washington Hts., 48104. Click here for map.
- What rooms are available for rent?
We offer six room spaces, most of them located at Matthaei. One room that’s great for U-M classes or corporate meetings is located in the James D. Reader Urban Environmental Education Center at the Washington Hts. entrance to the Arb. All of the rooms have natural light and some offer beautiful views of our properties.
- Are room-rental discounts available for University of Michigan units and departments?
- Are wedding rental discounts available for University of Michigan units and departments?
No. We only offer discounts to U-M units and non-profits for our room rentals.
- How many people do the rooms hold?
Our rooms can hold from 10-100 people. Call our rental coordinator or fill out our rental request form for more information.
- Is the Conservatory available for rent?
The Conservatory contains a rich collection of plants from around the world and is a lush warm environment year round. It’s available for groups to rent mid-September through early May after 4:30 pm except Wednesdays. Floodlighting is available for an evening reception. There is no air conditioning in the Conservatory.
- Do you offer outdoor spaces for rent?
Our outdoor spaces are only available for wedding rentals.
- Why should I get married at Matthaei Botanical Gardens or Nichols Arboretum?
We offer weddings made by nature, with the Gardens or Arboretum creating a natural stage for your special day. Our spaces are also ideal for the smaller wedding (up to 150 guests) or for those who seek a unique wedding space.
- Is there a dressing room available to the wedding party?
Yes, a bride’s dressing room is available and is included as part of the facility rental. Please note bathrooms are not attached to the bride’s dressing room.
- Is there a back-up space for our wedding in case of inclement weather?
- Do you require specific vendors for floral, photography, and entertainment?
You may hire any florist, band, or photographer for your event. Please provide us with their contact information at least 30 days prior to the event.
- May we use our own caterer?
We have a list of caterers you may choose from who are also familiar with our sites. Beer and wine are allowed for your event provided you hire a licensed bartender to serve. We discourage the use of disposable dishes and utensils. Instead we strongly encourage the use of reusable items.
- What’s included in the cost of a rental?
Tables, black chairs, and basic audiovisual equipment are included in the rental cost. White folding chairs are an additional $2.50 each. A host from the Gardens will be available throughout the period of your rental. All rooms have access to a small kitchenette with microwave, sink, and refrigerator. Large capacity coffee makers are also available for your use.
- May I take my wedding photos at your sites if I am not hosting my wedding/reception here?
We only allow wedding photography for a party renting one of our spaces for the actual wedding.
- How long are reservations held?
Tentative bookings will be held for 10 business days and are confirmed once a signed contract is returned and a 50% deposit paid.
- Can we visit for a tour of the facilities?
Yes! Feel free to visit daily from 10 am-4:30 pm. If you need a guided tour, please call our rental coordinator or request a tour on our rental request form.
- Is parking available?
Paid parking is available at Matthaei Botanical Gardens. There are 120 parking spaces and two parking pay kiosks. Per-vehicle parking cost is $1.40/ hour with a maximum of $5 for the day, 8 am – 8 pm, seven days a week. (Matthaei-Nichols members park for free.) Some rental packages include parking.
- Is alcohol allowed?
Beer and wine may be served to your guests if 1) you hire a certified bartender to serve; 2) you purchase liability insurance for the event; and 3) the event is free and nonticketed.
Join our Mailing List
Sign up to receive updates on news and events.