Satsuki Azalea Weekend 2020 at Matthaei
Ann Arbor, MI 48105 United States + Google Map
June 6 @ 9:00 am - June 7 @ 5:00 pm
Seminar & Exhibition: Satsuki Cultivation Made Easy
June 6-7, University of Michigan Matthaei Botanical Gardens Bonsai & Penjing Garden. Featuring visiting Japanese Satsuki artists Hiroharu Kobayashi (Kobayashi Sangyo), Yoichi Fukuda (Rakujyu-en), Kazuhiro Takahashi (Takahashi Engei), along with David Kreutz (Satsuki Bonsai-en). Scroll down for more information and to register.
Above: a Satsuki nikko azalea. From the collection of Dr. Melvyn Goldstein. Right: a cascade Satsuki nikko azalea. From the collection of Dr. Melvyn Goldstein. (Photos by M. Goldstein.)
June 6-20, 2020, workshop attendees and visitors may also view a spectacular display of blooming Satsuki azaleas from the collection of Dr. Melvyn Goldstein. The azaleas will be on display in the Bonsai & Penjing Garden at the University of Michigan Matthaei Botanical Gardens.
Saturday, June 6
• 9 am-noon: Lecture and demonstration of one advanced Satsuki azalea by visiting Japanese Satsuki artists
• 10 am-4:30 pm: A large exhibition of outstanding Satsuki azalea in bloom, plus vendors selling bonsai trees, tools, pots, and accessories, including Ann Arbor Bonsai Society, The Flower Market of Monroe, Mich., and the International Bonsai Arboretum. Exhibit and sale are open to the public.
• 12-1:30 pm: Lunch for registered attendees
• 2-6 pm: Satsuki demonstration with three Satsuki azaleas, with visiting Japanese Satsuki artists.
• 7-9 pm: Reception with auction of all four demonstration Satsuki
Sunday, June 7
• 8 am-noon: Beginner ($100) and intermediate ($300) Satsuki workshops conducted by visiting Japanese artists and Dave Kreutz (tree included)
• noon-1 pm: Lunch
• 1-5 pm: Bring-your-own Satsuki workshop $50 (advanced)
• Saturday events free for registered participants.
• Satsuki workshops (beginner & intermediate) include workshop and one tree per participant. • BYO Satsuki Workshop includes workshop only. Participants may also choose an all-inclusive package that includes the Sunday beginner or intermediate workshop plus the advanced workshop (bring your own bonsai).
Three Satsuki bonsai artists are visiting from Japan for the Satsuki azalea weekend at Matthaei Botanical Gardens on June 6 & 7. Pictured above from left to right: Hiroharu Kobayashi, Yoichi Fukuda, and Kazuhiro Takahashi. The artists will conduct demonstrations of Satsuki azalea on Saturday as well as workshops on Sunday, June 7. American bonsai artist Dave Kreutz will also participate in the demonstrations and workshops. (Photo by Dave Kreutz.)
Limited spaces available; register early. Hosted by the University of Michigan Matthaei Botanical Gardens & Nichols Arboretum. Free admission to botanical gardens (metered parking: $1.80 per hour). See below for hotel information.
Join our Mailing List
Sign up to receive updates on news and events.