Bonsai in Bloom: Satsuki Azalea Bonsai at Matthaei
Ann Arbor, MI 48105 United States + Google Map
June 8 @ 10:00 am - June 22 @ 8:00 pm
Opening on Saturday, June 8, 2019 and running through Saturday, June 22, 2019, the The Bonsai & Penjing Garden at Matthaei Botanical Gardens will feature an exhibition of blooming Satsuki azalea from bonsai expert and collector Dr. Melvyn Goldstein. Among bonsai artists, Goldstein’s private collection is recognized as one of the finest in the United States. Exhibit also includes a collection of viewing stones from Dr. Goldstein. Called suiseki in Japan and gongshi in China (where the art originated), viewing stones are naturally occurring rocks with shapes, colors, or features or features that evoke a landscape or an object. Free admission.
Schedule of Events:
June 8 – June 22, 2019 / Bonsai in Bloom Exhibit
June 8 – June 9, 2019 / Opening Weekend
June 8 – Opening Celebration
Throughout the day on Saturday June 8 Matthaei Botanical Gardens celebrates the opening of Bonsai in Bloom with a series of events.
- 9 am: Member hour / Matthaei-Nichols members get a sneak preview of the exhibit prior to the public opening. Free to members. Matthaei-Nichols members: RSVP below for member hour.
- 10 am: Exhibit opens
- 10, noon, and 2 pm / Japanese flute master Michael Gould plays traditional music on the shakuhachi flute.
- 1 pm: Japanese Tea Ceremony / A traditional Japanese tea ceremony conducted in the outdoor Bonsai & Penjing Garden at Matthaei. Matthaei-Nichols members: reserve your space at the ceremony. Spaces limited to 20 total. Email or call Frank Suarez-Roman, assistant director, annual giving: 734.615.9475; email@example.com.
- 10 am-8 pm / Viewing stones on display in the conservatory at Matthaei
Sunday, June 9 – Azalea Bonsai Workshops
On Sunday, June 9, renowned bonsai artist David Kreutz will lead two workshops along with Hiro Kobayashi and Yoichi Fukuda, visiting artists from Japan. Registration required.
- Multi-trunk Satsuki Azalea Workshop ONLY / 8 am-noon
Includes purchase of one multi-trunk satsuki azalea tree per person; limit 12 participants. $275 per person.
- Bring Your Own Azalea ONLY / 1 – 5 pm
If you have your own Satuski but crave an expert opinion, David will help you take your Satsuki to the next level. Limit 12 participants. $50 per person.
- Full Weekend Package
Includes: Multi-trunk Satsuki Azalea Workshop, Lunch, Bring Your Own Azalea Workshop, and an exclusive Dinner with the Artists. $325 per person.
- Dinner with the Artists / 7pm
Join us for an intimate dinner with collector and artist Melvyn Goldstein, renowned bonsai artist David Kreutz, Hiro Kobayashi and Yoichi Fukuda, visiting artists from Japan, as well as Matthaei’s own Carmen Leskoviansky. By invitation only.
Join our Mailing List
Sign up to receive updates on news and events.